I must say that I’m willfully ignorant of pop music. I haven’t even listened to an FM radio station in over six years, college radio notwithstanding. In fact, I only own two of SPIN magazine’s 50 Best Albums of 2011–I’ll let you guess which ones. (If you said Femme Fatale and Born This Way, you can fuck right off…)
So that’s why I hadn’t even heard of Rebecca Black, the female Justin Bieber, until Google revealed yesterday that she was Canada’s fourth-most googled search term of 2011. Naturally, I then went and googled her. The first thing that comes up on the results page was a YouTube link to “Friday,” a song considered by some to be the worst piece of music ever written. I gotta say, I’ve never seen such a long Wikipedia entry for just one song. And now I know why…
A few random thoughts about this video:
- This girl’s voice is so Auto-tuned that she makes T-Pain sound like Etta James. In fact, I kinda wonder if they got the guy who does Alvin and the Chipmunks, or maybe a Speak ‘n Spell to record the vocals, and only cast Rebecca Black for the music video.
- Is the scruffy-haired kid behind the wheel of that convertible even old enough to drive? It looks like someone took “The Boys in the Bright White Sportscar” a little too literally… Hey, maybe that’s Ra McGuire‘s son?
- How many Benjamins and bling-bling did they give that rapper to appear in the song/video? He looks like he could be someone’s father. Was Little Bow Wow Wow too busy? Y’know, the last time I was in L.A., I went to the Hollywood Walk of Fame, where there was this big, fat rapper with a boombox busking in the street. If you gave him a dollar, he’d make up a rhyme with your kid’s name in it. I almost wonder if it’s the same guy who did this song, and whether they paid him in quarters…
- I used to think Eminem’s “Without Me” had the most annoyingly repetitive chorus ever, especially when they used to play it on CJAY 92 for some strange reason ($$$). Not anymore!
- Let’s face it, this song is “Working for the Weekend” for the under-15 set. Has she done that duet with Bieber yet?